Floyd Mayweather has shot down reports he is about to join UFC – with Conor McGregor responding in the only way he knows how.
The unbeaten pound-for-pound boxing king has been tipped to join MMA following his victory over Conor McGregor in August.
Mayweather had said earlier this week that he would make “a billion dollars” if he chose to cross sports.
UFC president Dana White even said “real” talks were being held with Mayweather about the move.
But Mayweather has now played down talk of him ever entering the octagon.
(Image: USA Today Sports)
“People said, ‘Floyd said, Oh, he’ll be fighting in the UFC for a billion dollars’ – that’s not what I said,” Mayweather told FightHype.com .
“What I said was this: I made a billion dollars. If I made a billion dollars before, I’ll do it again. If I choose to get in the UFC and fight for the UFC, or fight three fights or four fights and then fight Conor McGregor, I could make a billion dollars, which I can.
“I could do it in three fights or even four fights. I could make a billion dollars.
“If I choose to get in the octagon and fight – fight three fights, three or four fights, and then fight Conor McGregor in the octagon.
“We just don’t know what the future holds for Floyd Mayweather, and I don’t look forward to getting back in the boxing ring. That’s what I don’t look forward to doing.
“So, I’m just saying, I could (make a billion in the UFC). I’m not doing it. But I’m saying, what I could do is make a billion dollars quick if I wanted to do that. That’s what I was saying.”
McGregor appeared to hit back at Mayweather on social media in the early hours of Thursday morning.
He simply tweeted “p****” with his followers suggesting he was responding to the unbeaten American.
The Irishman is yet to return to the octagon following his defeat to Mayweather but is expected to be back in action in 2018.